Saturday, June 13, 2009

The Best of British!

So I live in Latvia but I am British through and through. I love my food, especially old English traditionals. One of my absolute favourites, a real 'comfort' food for me, is good old English custard. I have a wonderful recipe which I am going to share with you.

Ingredients
1 vanilla pod
1 pint sweet cream
6 large free range egg yolks
1 dessertspoon cornflour
2oz golden castor sugar

Method
Pop the cream in a saucepan. Split the vanilla pod lengthwise and scoop out the seeds, put it all in with the cream and start heating very gently on the stove.
Whisk together the egg yolks, cornflour and sugar together in a medium bowl with a balloon whisk.
When the cream has warmed to just below simmering point remove the vanilla pod, and slowly add the cream to the egg mixture, stirring the egg mixture all the time.
Then tip it all back in to the pan and heat it up again, fairly slowly, until it thickens.

Tip in to a jug and serve with a fruit compote or pie. It's also rather good cold with some fresh whipped cream and fruit.

Right then .... I'm off to my fridge ..........

8 comments:

  1. oh, thanks for the recipe! My English husband loves custard as well, but I never seem to make it quite right. Maybe this one will do the trick!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, custard! This sounds divine. The bakery in my village fill their croissants with a thick english custard and then glaze them with glace icing, scrumptious!! This would be a great recipe for that too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds lovely!
    I may be being daft, but really not sure what you mean by 'sweet cream' though.....
    Not sure I'll make it today though - bit warm here, & about to go for a swim before letting Dad cook tea on the barbecue.
    But, when it starts raining tomorrow or the next day I'll remember this! Lots of love Xxxx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sweet cream to a Brit would be 'single' or 'double', I have been in Latvia so long now, I just know creams as sweet or sour...... both being oh so good ......... I don't know about in the US?! Somebody .........??!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ate so much it gave me the collywobbles, beware!

    ReplyDelete
  6. oh yum yum yum yum yum yum yum kim -- i love custard. i haven't made it in years.. i think i'll have to now!!

    by the way--are you talking heavy cream versus light cream?--i think most commercial cream in us is sold in terms of thickness.. not sweet or sour.. what does single, double refer to??---and yes please translate collywobbles!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. sounds divine indeed .. i have to ask what sweet cream is too .. do you mean you can actually buy sweetened cream there in latvia? the cream here in portugal is not that great but i will try the recipe out for sure! thanks Kim :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. by the way kim-- TAG--YOU'RE IT!!

    i'm just making this official. you just copy the questions on my blog and then answer them- and then tag another 8 people ( all at your leisure of course--- it took me weeks to get to it...)

    i'm looking forward to seeing your answers!
    XO

    ReplyDelete